Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week One

Yesterday I picked up our first box. The farm is only 2 miles from my house, and I had never even seen it before! Shows what you can miss when you're not paying attention. Here's the spread.



My camera skills definitely need some work.

We have: 1/2 Gallon Apple Cider, White Potatoes, Watercress, Arugula, Hydroponic Lettuce, Cherry Belle Radishes, One Dozen Brown Eggs, Gouda Cheese.

My husband isn't home right now (travels for work), so I can't really "dig in" yet. I did pop one of the little radishes as soon as I got home. It was possibly the best tasting radish I've ever eaten. Very sweet, with a little bit heat at the end. And juicy. Why have all the radishes I've eaten before been dry? Maybe that's why I thought I didn't like radishes. I also had to sample the cider. It's has a certain thickness to it, and is quite sweet. With how much Josh loves cider, the only option here is to drink it straight.

So let's see. What to do with the first haul? I think the arugula and lettuce will be solely salad fodder. Maybe a nice light red wine vinaigrette. A few poached eggs. I haven't done much with watercress before. A little research yielded a nice, simple leek and potato soup and a grilled cheese that just happens to include the Gouda. Excellent!

Now I need an idea for those radishes...if I don't just eat them like little grapes in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment